A great recipe from a really amazing food blog – La Tartine Gourmande
1/3 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons butter + to butter mold
3 to 4 medium-sized apples
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup blond cane sugar + 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 vanilla bean, cut in halves, seeds scraped out
1/2 cup minus 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
*1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
*1/2 cup brown rice flour
4 tablespoons almond flour
*Or replace these two flours with 1 cup all-purpose flour total.
What to do:
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Butter a round 9 inch mold — preferably non stick.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and roast them until fragrant (about 5 to 7 minutes). Remove and cool them; chop coarsely and set aside.
- Wash the apples and slice them finely (do not core them but remove the seeds).
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter on medium heat, and add the apple slices with the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar. Toss well and cook for about 4 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Arrange the apple slices at the bottom of the mold.
- In a large bowl, pour the yogurt with the sugar. Add the vanilla seeds, and mix well. Add the eggs, and then the olive oil.
- Finish with the flours, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nuts.
- Pour this batter over the apples and bake the cake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the blade of a knife inserted in the cake comes out dry. Let the cake cool and then unmold on a rack.
When you’re all done it should look like this