Here’s a great recipe for pecan pie from the Complete Canadian Living baking book. Hope the instructions aren’t too hard to follow. The basic pecan pie has always been a favourite of mine, but if you’re feeling more adventurous you can customize the recipe by adding caramel and chocolate chips! If you prefer your bourbon in a glass and not in a pie then decrease the brown sugar to 3/4 cup and increase the corn syrup to 3/4 cup.
There’s nothing like the smell of pecan pie in the oven! Enjoy!
Ingredients: Pat in Pastry
1 & 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp of granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold butter cubed
2 tbsp cold water
1 tsp vinegar
Glaze: 2 tbsp corn syrup, warmed
1. Set out 9″ tart pan with removable bottom
2. In food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt.
3. Add butter using on/off motion and pulse until in fine crumbs.
4. Add water and vinegar, pulse 2 or 3 times or until blended but still crumbly.
5. With floured hands, squeeze together small handfuls of dough until the mixture holds together.
6. By handfuls, press firmly and evenly over bottom and up sides of tart pan.
7. Refrigerate for 15 minutes
Ingredients: Pecan Pie Filling
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup bourbon or rye whisky
2 tbsp of butter (melted)
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp each nutmeg, ground cloves, ground all spice
1 & 1/2 cups pecan halves
1. In bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, bourbon, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.
2. Stir in pecans
3. Scrape filling into prepared tart shell.
4. Bake in bottom third of 375F oven until pastry is golden and filling is just firm to the touch, about 45 minutes.
5. Glaze: Brush filling with corn syrup and let cool before serving.