Hakka Chinese are a unique group of individuals from China, decendants from the Han culture said to be affiliated with royalty. Through the ages, the Hakka people have preserved their culture as well as embraced and dapted to the infusion of other ethnic groups. Over the generations the Hakka people have migrated all over the world from south East Asia, East Africa, Europe, South America, US and Canada but the cultural characteristics remain in tact especially the cuisine.
The Chilli Chicken Boneless is a widely popular dish among the Hakka restaurants in the GTA (Fredricks, Lucky’s, Lin Garden) and now you can make it at home. For those of you who have never tried this dish expect it to be especially spicy and not for the faint hearted stomachs.
Made from chunks of boneless chicken mixed with the chillies, onions, and powders gives the Chili Chicken a spicy Indian flare to the traditional Chinese food which create the distinct Hakka taste that we all come to love.
2 large onions, chopped
1/2 c vegetable oil
finely chopped ginger, about 2 tbsp or more
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
6 – 8 chicken thighs, skinned and boned
Salt and White Pepper
corn starch for coating chicken
5 green chilies, chopped coarsely
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 c water
1 tsp sugar
1/4 c soy sauce
2 tsp corn starchPreparation:
1. Cut up chicken into bite-sized chunks, season with salt and pepper and coat in a dusting of corn starch.
2. Fry onions in oil in a wok, until browned and caramelized.
3. Add ginger and garlic and fry up, add the cumin and coriander, stir for another 30 seconds or so. Push up on the sides of the wok.
4. Add chicken pieces and fry until browned. Then gather the onion mixture into the chicken.
5. Add green chilies and green onion. Stir for about 30 seconds.
6. In a bowl, blend water, sugar, cornstarch and soy sauce. Toss into the centre of the wok. Remove from heat and stir until it thickens into a sauce. Mix in the chicken into the sauce.
7. Serve with steamed rice and steamed or stir-fried vegetables.
By the way, log onto the great wok cooking suggestions. Other chicken recipes include Soy Sauce Chicken and Lemongrass Chicken. The perfect finish to a meal of Green Chili Chicken would be Grilled Fruit and Milk Jelly.