What’s chewy, delicious, and coconut? Coconut Macaroons! This is one of the easiest recipes I’ve found so far so enjoy these delightful cookies (or considered small cakes) and share them with some friends.
Now this is the recipe for the North American Macaroon which takes after the Scottish macaroon which are sweet and very thick. This variation allows for the little pastries to be dipped in chocolate but that’s entirely up to you.
Egg whites: 3 (large)
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Golden corn syrup: 1/2 cup
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Vanilla: 1 tsp (extract or powder)
All purpose flour: 1/2 cup
Sweetened coconut flake: 2+1/2 cups
Chocolaty Variations Ingredients:
Chocolate bar: 3 oz (about 90grams)
Chocolate chips: 32 (to decorate, optional)
1. Sift the flour, set aside (optional but recommended).
2. In a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, sugar and salt.
3. When the mixture is warm to the touch, remove from heat and stir in the corn syrup, vanilla, flour and coconut flakes*.
4. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour or until the dough is firm.
5. Preheat oven to 325 F.
6. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place small mounds (about 1 tbsp) of the dough on to the parchment-lined baking sheet 2 inches apart**.
7. Bake for 15-20 minute or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.